Mommy Psedornna

Thursday, December 17, 2009

Why baby under 1 years old should not given citrus fruits?


Felt so guilty after I read the article below :( WHY??? I gave Bryan orange juice when he was 4 months+. Can't remember where my hubby was that day. In a damn hot afternoon, I made myself an orange juice with ice cubes. While Bryan was laying on the mattress in the dining room and playing with his playmate. When I was enjoying my cold, icy + a little bit sour orange juices, Bryan just starred at my orange juice. In my mind, orange is a rich Vitamin C fruits, should be okay for him. So I dipped my index finger into my cup and put into Bryan’s mouth. He was stunned!!! That’s all. I didn’t continue give him, as I knew he should not take other foods at that moment. After that, I read the article below!


It is best to hold off on introducing citrus fruits until your baby is at least one year old. Citrus fruits commonly cause allergies or food-sensitivity reactions, such as a diaper rash.



Because of the potential for an allergic reaction, when you do introduce oranges, grapefruits and other citrus foods, do so gradually, beginning with small amounts served over the course of several days. Monitor your child for symptoms such as hives, rashes or wheezing. If you think your child is allergic, avoid all citrus fruits including tomatoes and strawberries. Hold off on citrus juices as well.



Young children also have problems eating citrus fruits due to the membrane. Peeling away the stubborn membrane can be a laborious task. You may find that serving canned mandarin oranges is the best first citrus to introduce because the membranes are tender and more easily chewed.



Once your child is past the critical age for introducing potentially allergenic food, adding citrus as a snack is great idea. Citrus fruits are full of vitamin C. There is no need to worry that your baby can't get enough vitamin C without them. There are plenty of other, baby-friendly foods that provide vitamin C. Some delicious, vitamin C-rich foods that baby can enjoy include baked potatoes, tender cooked broccoli, spinach and cabbage. Many babies enjoy ripe papaya or cantaloupe, both of which are high in vitamin C and A. Under the age of one, a baby needs 35 milligrams of vitamin C each day.

2 comments:

  1. When should stop breast feed BB?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for dropping by my blog.
    There is no set situation or time when a woman is recommended to stop nursing. In fact, most doctors would recommend breastfeeding for at least a year; the World Health Organization suggests two years.
    I have been breastfeeding for 10 months & 1 week and I hope I can continue till my second pregnancy :p... As I knew breastmilk is the best milk for my son.

    ReplyDelete