Mommy Psedornna

Friday, January 25, 2013

When will you send your kids to nursery?

When will you send your kids to nursery?

18 months? 2 years old? 3 years old? 4 years old?

I made my decision to send my boy to kindergarten when he is 5 years old. Too late???

Hmm... Let's summarize what my 3.5 years old boy learnt so far. Share with me what your kids learnt in school? In order for me to justify whether is it too late to send him to school in year 2014?


Motor Skill

  • He learnt to button by himself before 3 years old (video)
  • He learnt how to take off and put on shirt and pants all by himself.
  • He learnt to take shower by himself.
  • He learnt to use scissors.
  • He learnt to use cup. He uses cup to drink milk.
  • He is diaper off since 15 months.
  • He learnt to put on and take off the shoes and socks all by himself. He is learning how to put on shoes for his little brother now.
  • He helps me a lot on the house work, eg laundry (video), hang up clothes & collect dry clothes (video), cleaning....

Am I missing anything? What he can learnt in school in motor skill?

Shapes
He learnt the basic shape - triangle, circle, square, star & heart shape at 17 months. He even learnt oval, diamond, pentagon, hexagon, octagon, trapezium etc.... NOW.
Are these the shapes the kids learn in nursery?

Numbers
He learnt all the basic colors at 2 years old (He knows colours by 18 months, now he even can "tell" all the colours (black, browndark greenlight greenpurpledark bluelight blueredpinkorangeyellowgreywhitebeige))
He learnt indigo, violet, navy blue, maroon as well.

Games

  • He likes to play dots to dots. He can finish 1-100 dots to dots!
  • He likes to play puzzle (video), he can finish 72 pieces puzzle!
  • He starts to in love with maze now.
  • We play memory game every weeks.
  • We sing and dance every day.
  • We paint together.
  • We play dough together.
  • We go swimming together.
  • He cycling every day.
  • ..... and more ....


Numbers
Bryan can read and write from 1-100 in English and Mandarin; read 1-10 in Japanese.
This is the video he read numbers in different language -> video
Few weeks ago, Bryan completed 1-100 on his work book without any missing numbers! While I was taking my shower, he told me that he was boring, nothing to do. So I simply told him to write some numbers on his work book.
He surprised me by showing his writing (picture on the right) while I finished shower. ^_^

Alphabet
Bryan learnt A-Z since 19 months (video).
We play alphabet game every day. eg, name the animals/fruits/musical instrument that start from A-Z. This little boy can think of some name that I can't even recall!

Writing
I will not force my boy to write before he was 3 years old as I believed that kids fingers are fully developed after 3 years.
He can write capital letter and small letter from A-Z and a-z as well. But a bit UGLY. Haha... As I just started to teach him writing when he was 3 years old. So I have no worries on this.

Language - Mandarin
I teach him mandarin flash card using the material given by my sister.


Language - Malay
I just start to teach him Malay. ^_^
He learnt some animals name (kucing, anjing etc), numbers (satu - sepuluh) and colours (merah, hitam etc).
I admit I teach him lesser in Malay as I am not really good in Malay :P......



Reading
I read story book for him and slowly he learn to read by himself. Basically he can read simple story book in English. I taught him on phonics, which makes him read.
This was the video he reads "The Three Little Pigs" at his 3 years old (36 months). It's a LONG video, so the middle part I had fast forwarded. Hahaha......


So... Experienced mommy, am I made a correct decision to send him to school at his 5 years old? I prefer homeschooling my boy. But... Am I missing anything to teach him at home?

No comments:

Post a Comment